20081007

On trees and caves



I came across the images above in my search of the essence of the Swedish forest. In order to create a forest of my own, I’ll need to know which elements that are important for capturing the special atmosphere of a dense and dark forest. One of the first things to notice are of course the trees. And how many they are. They are tightly packed standing in each others way, obscuring both the light and the view. The sheer number of trees is important to re-create the denseness and closeness I’m looking for.



Then there’s the light. Tiny rays of light breaking through the overall darkness of the forest, illuminating small patches of ground, creating contrast which makes the dark parts seem darker. Another thing is irregularity of the ground. The green and soft floor is covered with small stones and rocks and branches, partly hidden under a blanket of moss. These irregularities are vital ingredients in the atmosphere of the forest. They break down the play of shadows and light into smaller fragments, introducing more detail and interest to the otherwise smooth surfaces and might also offer seating possibilities. To re-create these elements I’ll need to manipulate the interior surface of the pavilion by adding more noise in to the mix.

Another problem which needs some looking into are the openings between the forest and the rooms underneath the hills. As I’ve seen these rooms as something not very unlike caves, I think it best to turn to real cave openings in order to find good examples to model my solution on. Unfortunately, people seem to be very fond of taking pictures of these opening from the inside and out, and not the other way around.



I’ll need to find a way to represent this passage between inside and outside, maybe something like ripped fabric, or slits cut in a blanket. Hopefully I can create a script that replicates this kind of tear in a surface.

No comments: